Sunday, March 6, 2011

Art Break

Artist talk by Trisha Coates

Last Wednesday I attended one of the Art Break lectures with visiting artist and UNH Alumni, Tricia Coates. My ceramics professor, Don Williams, had actually recommended that students in the class attend the lecture and view some of her work. I had seen some of her pieces on display in the UNH MOA for the ReView: Recent Work by UNH Alumni exhibit, I was astounded by the degree of detail in her work.

To be honest I couldn't hear very well what she was saying, her voice was soft and the microphone wasn't very loud, but I could tell she was very enthusiastic about her work. I did manage to hear a few words about her discussing her work, describing her pieces as "making a meal out of art". Her work consists of ceramic teapots primarily based on foods(her later pieces were based off seed pods), mostly vegetables incorporated some sort of knife or sharp food paring object(I believe she mentioned researching African weapons for some of her projects).

I loved looking at her work, the teapots were so elegant and looked so realistic, the glazes, englobes, and airbrushed paint finishes were perfectly executed for different food characteristic.

Here are images of some of my favorite pieces:

Pear Tea Set by Trisha Coates


Embracing Squash Teapot by Trisha Coates

No comments:

Post a Comment