Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 6 Readings

Anytime, Anywhere: Kanye West by Sasha Frere-Jones

This article discusses the professional and public image Kayne West has made for himself, how his ego sometimes makes a muck of things when he impulsively blurts out his opinions making an ass out of himself; and his fierce and relentless dedication to his work which still manages to impress the crowds. Even while often making a public douche-bag of himself and later apologizing for it, Kayne's music has become something of a mash-up of random feelings and ideas, becoming his own mixed genre of music.



Fancy Footwork by David Denby

Denby's review of Black Swan discusses the dark, twisted, psychological horror film resemblances in the director's deliberate idea about people destroying their own bodies(which seems to be a common theme among his other movies as well). This review also notes the film's recognition of the "controlled savagery of ballet", the high stress and emotions that are not seem in dancers as they appear lithe and gracefull in everyway on stage.

Before reading Denby's review of Love and Other Drugs, I had no idea that the movie was based around a satirical view of the pharmaceutical and medical industry. I also didn't know that Anne Hathaway's character, Maggie Murdock, had early on-set Parkinsons disease! I feel like some of the movie has been spoiled after reading this review, I have not seen it yet!


Ladies Wild: How not dumb is Gaga? by Sasha Frere Jones

In this next article by Sasha Frere Jones, this time about the pop singer and mind boggling fashionista Lady GaGa, Jones talks about how Gaga's musical success's come from much more than a good voice and flashy costumes. I don't consider myself much of music junkie, there is no way I could name off every artist and song I hear played to me, with the exception of a few popular hits that seem to catch my ear and stick to my mind. Lady Gaga's songs (i.e. "Poker Face", "Just Dance", "Bad Romance") are easily recognizable to an un-tuned ear, such as my own.

Gaga, once a school dropout, has written songs for Brittney Spears, Akon, Pussycat Dolls. Her songs make the college fraternity party hit list, encouraging even the stiff-legged to get up and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment