Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Decordova Sculpture Park + Museum Gallery- Part 2



While wondering around the museum, I found myself most drawn to the Chakaia Booker: In and Out exhibit. I LOVED circling around the giant sculptures made out of shredded and cut-up bits of recycled tires. Pictured to the right(click image to enlarge) is Chikaia Booker's Meeting Ends, 2005. The first thing that comes to mind when I first see Booker's sculptures is, "What the hell is that?" of course, upon further inspection of the pieces (and notable tar smell) did I finally realize that these tall elaborate forms were made from car tires! Ok, first of all, has anyone felt how thick a car tire is? Imagine trying to bend one into shape, let alone make an eight foot sculpture out of the stubborn material. I am impressed by Booker's skill and creativity, especially when working with a medium such as recylced rubber tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment